Tuesday, 28 May 2013

May 29 2013 leaving Gibraltar for Gran Canaria (Canary islands)

Octopus1 is tackling the last piece of the trip from Alanya, Turkey to the Canary islands. Once they are out of the Gibraltar straight they should have clear sailing with a nice Northerly. I will report back once I have had news; however it will be about 6 days!

Octopus1 will be hauled and I have booked Howard and Gerry on return flights. Richard made his own arrangements already, he will fly from Tenerife.

Gerry plans on returning to Gran Canaria either late December or early January to get ready for the Atlantic crossing.

They passed by Tariffa, a surfer paradise at 1pm!


Saturday, 25 May 2013

May 26, 2013, heading for Gibraltar

at 5.30AM was Octopus1 40NM NNE of Gibraltar. The "promised Easterly wind has not yet materialised and hence the going is not all that smooth, current and waves are giving Octopus with the new Yanmar engine another good workout!! Go Yani go!!
I just checked the forecast and my weather info says sailable winds....

Well, that did not happen but they are docked at the Queensway Quay marina, looking for a good supper and a good night sleep.


A bit later this evening we shall have a look at the weather!!

Friday, 24 May 2013

May 24, 2013 just passing Cartagena

Octopus1 is underway again since yesterday noon, I would like to think it has been a smoother ride for them; they are underway with the spinney in a nice NE-erly wind. This should get them comfortably towards Gibraltar, dare I say to Gibraltar, says the person who is sitting at home!

Wednesday, 22 May 2013

May 22 2013, Wednesday La Salina, Formentera

Octopus 1 is at La Salina Formentera, Balearic islands


The ride from the island of Menorca to the height of the island of Cabrera was a real sleigh ride indeed, surfing off the waves and making incredible headway. However the winds went from 45kn to zero and so the new engine was started once again, and before long the wind had turn in such a way that once again it was "on the nose"! Needless to say the rest of the trip was tough slugging.

The guys are looking forward to a nice quiet night!

Saturday, 18 May 2013

May 18, Saturday Mahon, Menorca

Octopus1 is once again in Mahon.
The plan of heading from Trapani, Sicily to either Southern Sardinia or Southern Balearic islands (Formentera) or better still mainland Spain (Cartagena) did not work out.....you guessed it, the winds were up to their usual tricks (F8-9SSW)!

To top it off, the jib got a tear and they sailed with a reefed main and the yankee, but they made it safely into Mahon. They found a sail maker who promised to do the job by Monday or Tuesday and weather permitting they will be off again for points South/West!

I think Octy wanted to stop there one more time since Mahon was our first wintering destination (2004-05) and up to now my favoured to boot (and I am not even there! (B))


Tuesday, 14 May 2013

May 13 2013, Tuesday leaving Trapani Sicily for points West!

After a forced 4 days rest in Trapani, Octopus1 with captain Gerry and crew are underway again. If the 3 "W" (weather, wind and waves) are working in favour of Octopus1 they will pass South of the Balearic islands and head straight for mainland Spain. Should wind and or waves play up and make travelling direction West uncomfortable they will go and hide on Formentera. I will most likely not hear anything until Friday or possibly even Saturday. I will update the blog asap.
Have a good week, B

Thursday, 9 May 2013

May 9 2013, Trapani

Octopus1 and crew will stay here a few days as the Mistral out of France is making the crossing to the Balearics very uncomfortable. Howard and Richard will "play" tourists on the island of Sicily and Gerry will do some minor repairs and just plain kick back and relax for a few days.


Wednesday, 8 May 2013

May 8 2013, an unexpected stop at Milazzo

Gerry and crew stopped in Milazzo yesterday as the waves made travelling too uncomfortable, they are now underway again and I have been told that the wave action is less and they will be in Trapani tomorrow before noon (we think). Having been on Octopus for so many years I know that sometimes a trip takes longer and sometimes you arrive sooner, we shall see!


Monday, 6 May 2013

May 6 2013, Messina, Italy

I would think it was though slugging as the gap between Sicily and the toe of Italy is narrow and the current is strong, coupled with strong Northerly wind and I would say 2:0 Mother Nature! But of course Gerry, Richard and Howard had an answer to that challenge, Octopus's very own NEW ENGINE! I understand "she" was definitely up to the challenge.
They are presently (2.30pm) doing the formalities of checking into Italy and I believe they will stay the night!

Friday, 3 May 2013

May 3, Friday Phylos Greece

I just spoke with Gerry, they have arrived at Phylos, Peloponnese, Greece. After a good night sleep, some early morning shopping they will be off heading direction Messina, Italy.


This will mean that there will be 48hrs of "radio-silence", so most likely no update until Monday morning!

Have a good weekend everyone, B

Thursday, 2 May 2013

May 2 2013 currently underway direction Phylos Peloponnese, Greece

I heard from Gerry and crew, they were sailing into the sunset heading for Phylos. There they will likely fuel up again and hopefully the sailing conditions will be such that they can sail westward to Syracusa. A great anchorage with super holding! ETA Phylos tomorrow evening. Stay tuned!

Wednesday, 1 May 2013

May 1 2013, island of Santorini


After a windy 2 days Octopus and crew are in the southernmost village on the island of Santorini. Here they will get diesel for tank and fuel containers and tomorrow weather permitting they will detour past the crater and onwards direction Western side of the Peloponnese or if the going is good they will continue to Sicily. 
It is up to the weather god! 
Gerry, Howard and Richard are well and still talking to each other!!